My everyday - Mi dia a dia


Sunday, February 14, 2010

US-MEXICO BORDER SHOOTOUT






US-MEXICO BORDER - MONDAY 8, 2010 - 10:00 p.m.

I called my sister on her cell phone to say hello. She said she was at the port of entry waiting in line to cross from Mexico into the U.S. She was with her two small children. Suddenly I heard several gunshots through the cell, my sister yelled and then the call cut off. I tried to call her back, but she didn’t answer. After a few minutes, she returned my call somewhat nervous. She told me that while we talked, a dangerous shootout started near the border. She jumped into the backseat to protect her children and the cell phone dropped the call. She saw how the man who sells corn on the cob right at the border turned off the basin of corn on impulse and started running. Other people, who were waiting in their cars, ran desperately leaving their car doors wide open. She saw an elderly woman that jumped from her car to the ground and slowly crawled until she was under her car using it as a shield against the bullets. Suddenly, on the other side of the street, she heard the last round of gunshots and a car that fled spinning the tires. The Mexican police ran after the gunmen among the cars lined up to cross into the U.S. vanishing in the distance. Right after, everything turned silent. Then the man who sells corn on the cob returned, turned on the pot and continued to sell. The people cautiously returned to their cars, my sister jumped back to the driver's seat and grabed the steering wheel and the old lady came out from underneath, all dirty and got in her auto. Everything was back to normal as if nothing had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment